"I find myself wondering again and again what it would be like actually to live every moment of one's life with an awareness of God..." D. Allen

December 2, 2011

Living in the Now: True Freedom


1Christ has set us free to live a free life. So take your stand! Never again let anyone put a harness of slavery on you.  
Galatians5:1, The Message

An undisclosed blog on godly homemaking recently ruffled my feathers. In addressing the tiresome challenges of daily home making, they recommended focusing on others before self (good ole' "JOY" theology....), keeping your mind inside the home (no outward distractions), and set new goals (try harder).

It made my heart sad, and totally irritated, as I saw these chains of shame and bondage put on other home makers. I have believed this deception, too. If I can just work harder, if I can just think happy thoughts, I think I can fly. Oh God, forgive us for believing those lies.

Freedom is not found in trying harder, thinking about others, and hoping this discontentment will pass with business. I carry not the power to set myself free. It is only in Christ that I am free, and it is only by His grace that I can worship Him with every breath...even in the tiresome, mundane, and mostly satisfying art of home making.

God, grant me the desire to move in your grace, not of my own power.

No comments:

Post a Comment