"I find myself wondering again and again what it would be like actually to live every moment of one's life with an awareness of God..." D. Allen

November 30, 2011

Practically Preparing

Thunder in the desert!
   "Prepare for God's arrival!
Make the road straight and smooth,
   a highway fit for our God.
Fill in the valleys,
   level off the hills,
Smooth out the ruts,
   clear out the rocks.
Then God's bright glory will shine
   and everyone will see it.
   Yes. Just as God has said.
Isiah 40:3, The Message

The last two days have been partly spent gathering up all our boxed Christmas decorations, and gathering my wits for the upcoming celebrations. Preparing. I'm finding what is where. I'm washing Christmas linens. I'm pulling cards out of storage from last year's sale. I'm checking for any supplies that are needed. I'm picturing what is to come. I'm hoping. Then I'm boxing everything back up into storage. I'm waiting.

On Christmas eve, we will pull out these boxes and put up all of our decorations--tree, lights, candles, mugs, EVERYTHING. Last year, since the little man was so little, he woke up the next morning to a decorated house. This year, he will help us. I can't wait. 

There is such a peace of mind knowing that when the time comes, I'm prepared to celebrate. The desire is huge. Even preparing takes time, clarity, and simplifying. It makes me hungry for that feast!

No comments:

Post a Comment