"I find myself wondering again and again what it would be like actually to live every moment of one's life with an awareness of God..." D. Allen

October 28, 2011

Living in the Now: Present Worship


A subtle trap tends to ensnare me. I clean to "create space" for friends to visit. I reorganize to "create space" for smooth preparations. I straighten to "create space" for downtime with God. All this labor can lead me into a future I never experience fulfilled.

There is a security in that, as my little categories have an even more defining line: family time, friends time, God time. Thank God they don't overlap, because that would be much too complicated....

Wait, did I just say that out loud?

The twist I'm learning to claim as truth: cleaning, reorganizing, and straightening are acts of worship. Instead of doing them so that I can have time to worship, I'm learning to participate as an act of worship. God is there with me as I de-calcify my espresso machine. He is there as I take out the trash. He is there as I scrub the toilet. He is very present. 

Brother Lawrence (at first resentful of his lowly kitchen position in the monastary) said, "We can do little things for God. I turn the case that is frying on the pan for love of Him, and that done, if there is nothing else to call me, I prostrate myself in worship before Him, who has given me grace to work; afterwards I rise happier than a king. It is enough for me to pick up but a straw from the ground for the love of God."

Desiring a familiar, constant conversation with God, I'm praying:

O God, since you are right here in this daily moment with me, I choose to commit my ways to this task at hand. Grant, I pray, that I may continue in Your presence, and fully experience You in the now-here. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment