"I find myself wondering again and again what it would be like actually to live every moment of one's life with an awareness of God..." D. Allen

October 26, 2011

Tips for cleaning espresso machine

Meet my new KARM find (love me some KARM...but that's another story: Link to stores), Krupps 865 dual coffee, espresso, and cappucino machine. Previously loved in this hard-water land of East TN, it needed a good decalcifying. I knew this because a serving of espresso took longer to brew than I spent in my morning shower. A few tips for your espresso machine:


  1. Use one part water, one part distilled white vinegar, filling glass carafe to line 4. Pour into espresso machine water tank. 
  2. Screw lid on tightly.
  3. Screw frother closed.
  4. Fill coffee basket up to level 2. Feel free to use cheap coffee, espresso ground fine.
  5. Run cycle. Consider placing towel at the base of machine. My machine was forceful in loosening build-up, and thus sputtered a good bit of mess.
  6. Discard vinegar coffee. 
  7. Use all water, fill glass carafe to line 4. Pour into espresso machine water tank.
  8. Repeat steps 2-6.
  9. Repeat steps 2-6 a second time.
  10. Wipe down and wash exterior of machine. 


Now you're good to go! While vinegar is very strong as it perks in the espresso machine, it is also thorough. The smell will rinse easily away. Once all steam has evaporated, you will no longer smell the vinegar.





No comments:

Post a Comment