"I find myself wondering again and again what it would be like actually to live every moment of one's life with an awareness of God..." D. Allen

October 31, 2011

Practically Pumpkin


Can I just testify that we have a widow's jar of oil in our cabinet, except it is an endless supply of pumpkin? My sweet husband bought an entire flat of pumpkin at the grocery store last year. Granted, in his favor, pumpkin is a seasonal item and one must stock up. But that was much more extreme than I intended when sending him with a list (my dad did this once with a flat of sauerkraut; trust me, I know this could be worse).

Pumpkin and curry are a great combo. There are delicious, numerous savory soups that are loaded with pumpkin. Grandma's pumpkin bread recipe is now famous in our circles, and is often a special request. While I can barely muster the idea of eating more pumpkin for Thanksgiving pie, I'm really thankful for how God has used pumpkin as a constant reminder of His presence in my kitchen.

I promise you, our supply is still brimming, even though we have put pumpkin in everything for the last 10 months. Pumpkin is our inside family joke. A super food, its been a blessing (challenge?) to find ways to use it creatively. My pumpkin journey has often reminded me of the widow's oil (2 Kings 4), as God provided for her as she paid down debt. Its just like God to use something so practical and every day to remind me that He cares about each detail of my life. Something so ordinary can abundantly remind me of God's love that is now-here, and even more abundant.



No comments:

Post a Comment