"I find myself wondering again and again what it would be like actually to live every moment of one's life with an awareness of God..." D. Allen

December 27, 2013

Practically Speaking: Christmas brain dump


A few days post Christmas, I try to do a quick brain dump.  I will read it for next year.  Going with my gut, I set the timer for 10 minutes, make a quick list of what worked, what didn't work, what seemed to be worth repeating, and mistakes not to be recommitted.  It helps to look at all the lists I made over the past few weeks, and even staple those to the brain dump (gift lists, meal plans, etc.)

I shove this brain dump in my 3 ring holiday binder and glance through it come Halloween each year.  Do you do something similar?   I'm thinking about dropping it all in Evernote.  Gasp.  Suggestions?


Some good I liked this year:
We sat down for Christmas Eve dinner.  We ate on my mom's old china, a first for us. 

We played Pandora stations until we were sick of Christmas music.  Jackson learned many new songs. That makes my sentimental heart happy.

after the Christmas Eve church service, we decorated and strung lights without fights.  How did that happen?!  Probably because we ate first. 

We set aside quiet for us. Yes.

Remembering the poor, lonely, orphaned, and strangers in the land.  Giving to them is a practice of love.


Some things I wouldn't do again:

Make so many gifts so close to Christmas.  It's not like they have a shelf life.

Neglect time teaching Jackson to be a giver.  We helped him create and give some gifts, but not as many as I hoped.  I know he is just 7 years old, but he had some concerning "give me" moments.

Budget poorly.  We did not overspend, did not use credit cards, and stuck to the budget.  But there was no wiggle room and This gave me a lot of gray hair.  Good budgeting needs breathing space.



Remember, reflect.  







No comments:

Post a Comment