"I find myself wondering again and again what it would be like actually to live every moment of one's life with an awareness of God..." D. Allen

April 3, 2012

Journey: Feeding and Following

The next few weeks, we will be journeying on the ups and downs, sweets and savories, of eating. Discovering how much energy and time is invest into this necessity has been revealing the depth spiritual heart.  Eating is such a funny thing, universal to all of us: a necessity, often a lot of trouble, generally satisfying, revealing of culture, and a point of gathering.  No wonder prison punishment would be bread and water. Look what would be stripped away. 

Eating forms us.  Eating reveals our heart.

After my first child was born, I immediately lost almost all my pregnancy weight.  Before pregnancy, food was a point to satisfy craving and little more.  Continuing this mindset post-pregnancy with a new metabolism (biggest new mama shock!) crashed into an out of control self, speeding in the wrong direction for many months.  

Dieting for the first time revealed that I was a binge eater.  That was super embarrassing.  Face to face with doubt, I wondered not only if I was worth all the work it took to eat well, I also wondered if I had the gumption to keep going.

Today, three years later, I am at my perfect ideal weight, have my life totally in control, eat only healthy, organic, locally grown food, and am now going to share my pearls of wisdom with you.

NOT.

Honestly, the art of eating as a worshiper--in a way that glorifies God--is a constant struggle.  Maybe its been that way since that first forbidden bite of fruit in the garden.  Instead of mastering a skill set, settling that battle, I'm finding ways to worship God while eating.  Eating is so spiritual, and maybe its the first steps toward following God. Hopefully, you'll share your feeding journey, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment