"I find myself wondering again and again what it would be like actually to live every moment of one's life with an awareness of God..." D. Allen

April 10, 2012

Living in the Now: Making Choices

It's 2:00 in the afternoon.  I wish you were here to see the polite, quiet struggle.  While I've had an extremely productive day checking off responsibilities, Someone has been slightly less productive.  Quietly, respectfully, he refuses to work on his school. Purely won't pick up the pencil. 

A little less quietly, he has clearly refused all food offered, and somehow that was the breaking point for me.  He used to be such a good little eater, and this insane pickiness, this overwhelming stubbornness, hurts my pride.

Ah, there's the root. 

Its somehow shocking that I can't force him to make good choices.  And eating wholesome food, lovingly prepared from scratch, being served with a kiss and a smile...he won't choose it. His undying stubbornness to sit at the table, on strike, for this many hours is unsettling. Lord have mercy, what will he be like when he's 15?!

In the meantime, I'm committed to letting home be a place where it is safe to make choices--good or bad. A safe environment to live out what you choose, going hungry or grazing.  How much more my Father does for me, a mindless sheep in His pasture: 
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23: 5-6

How do you coach your little one into making good choices? How do you let go of pride and humbly walk with God?  This has been an ongoing battle for months.  We've probably tried the basic ideas, so dig deeper.  Input needed.




No comments:

Post a Comment